Domestic Violence, bullying and harassment, can be a cause of very major concern. particularly when played out in front of any children of the family.

The manifestation of the abuse may be physical, emotional, psychological, sexual or even financial. The violence may be acute, in which case the police may be involved, or it may take place over a more sustained period. It is also of course relative, the level of hostility, which every victim is able to bear.

The Family Court take this behaviour so seriously that applications for relief, attract no court fee. Public Funding can also be available, not only for an application a remedy, but for divorce proceedings, where there has been a proven history of violence.

Help and Support From South Wales Police.

The first line of recourse in serious circumstances should of course be to the police and indeed the legal aid agency expect appropriate report to have been made to explore all criminal remedies before access is made to public funds for a civil justice remedy.

For help and support  the local victim care team should be contacted on 0300 303 0161 and it is suggested that for victims who need support that they should contact 08 08 16 89 111. Mandy Wilmot is responsible for the local services of victims of crime in South Wales. and can be contacted at te Victim Support Suite at Rumney Police Station, 713 Newport Road Cardiff CF3 4FD.


Help and Support From Cardiff City Council.

Cardiff City Council have recently been awarded a white ribbon in the national campaign against domestic violence. If you are suffering or are in fear of domestic violence you can contact :

Womens Aid on 02920873141. We actually do a free surgery there once a month or;

The Housing option Service on 02920570750, where they can secure a property and advise on immediate personal safety.

Court Remedies for Personal Protection and possible Exclusion from Family Home

Where you are at risk of physical harm or serious abuse, an application can be made for a Non-Molestation order. Depending on the gravity of the situation such application can be made very urgently or alternatively on notice to the other party, as the circumstances appropriately warrant.

In very serious circumstances where both parties reside under the same roof, an application can also be for an Occupation Order, requiring the other person to give up possession of the property or home. If such an Order is made, it is likely they will never be able to return.

Frequently domestic abuse will require immediate action to prevent further harm or abuse. Where necessary an immediate application can be brought to the court, particularly if it is to prevent possible harm to a child of the family. You should of course also have made appropriate report to the Police and the Local Authority as explained above, where there is a threat to a young child. It is also important to explain that a judge in the family court will require you to have taken all action possible and indeed explored all your options, before excluding a spouse or cohabitee from the family home.

Specialists in Legal Remedies for Domestic Violence.

Alternatively if you are served with an Injunction application for either Non Molestation or Ouster relief, then you should make an urgent application to see us, in order that we have the opportunity of putting together detailed documentation in respect of your defence to such an application and prepare for any forthcoming hearing.